Thankfully, serious crimes against persons in the City of Carpinteria are a rare occurrence. However, a recent robbery has created concern over personal safety. The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office offers the following tips, which are unrelated to the recent robbery but intended to remind the public of a few general personal safety strategies.
Tips to stay safe during a robbery:
- Remain calm and think clearly. Make mental notes of the robber’s physical description and other observations important to law enforcement officers.
- Be careful, most robbers are just as nervous as you are.
- If you see something suspicious, call law enforcement. For emergencies, call 911. For non-emergencies, you can reach Sheriff’s Dispatch at (805)683-2724.
- Put your safety first. Your personal safety is more important than money.
- Don’t talk except to answer the robber’s questions.
- Don’t stare directly at the robber.
- Prevent surprises; keep your hands in sight at all times.
- Don’t make any sudden moves.
- Leave the job of catching the robber to law enforcement.
After a robbery:
- Ask any witnesses to stay until law enforcement arrives.
- Call law enforcement and remain on the line.
- Don’t touch anything the robber may have touched.
- Write down a description of the robber, the weapon, the direction the robber left, and a description of their transportation as soon as you are able.