- Carpinteria’s Short-Term Rental (STR) regulations went into effect July 1, 2017.
- If your property is in a Residential Zone: A license is required to operate both kinds of STR (rentals of 30 days or fewer)
- Vacation Rental-VR (owner off-site)
- Home Stay-HS (owner on-site)
- New VR licenses will be issued ONLY within the City’s Vacation Rental Overlay District (VROD); see map below.
- The number of VR licenses available per year is limited by area; see map below.
- If your property is in a Commercial Zone: Any BNB/AIRBNB/VRBO, etc. requires a permit.
If you have further questions, please call (805) 389-3554 or email email@example.com
NEW! Transient Occupancy Tax can now be paid online! Scroll all the way to the bottom of our website at https://Carpinteria.HdLGov.com
Checks can still be mailed in to our new Business Support Center address at 8839 N. Cedar Ave #212, Fresno, CA 93720
Forms and More Information
- Initial Application for a Short-Term Rental License (for VR or HS in Residential Zone), TOT Remittance and other forms can be found here at the bottom of the webpage
- Renewals: Licenses must be renewed before June 30 of each year. There is no grace period. The city mails pre-filled-out renewal applications to STR owners by May 1 of each year.
- List of all licensed Vacation Rentals and Home Stays with contact information
- Ordinance No. 708 – the City’s STR ordinance, adopted April 2017
- STR Administrative Policies and Procedures
- The deadline to RENEW an existing license is June 30 each year. There is no grace period.
- The City accepts applications for NEW Vacation Rentals or Home Stays year-round.
- TOT Remittance and Reporting forms for a single STR unit (or for multiple STR units) are due as follows:
TOT Reporting Quarters
TOT Remittance Due No Later Than
January 1 – March 31
April 1 – June 30
July 1 – September 30
October 1 – December 31