- Carpinteria’s Short-Term Rental (STR) regulations went into effect July 1, 2017.
- If your property is in a Residential Zone: A license is required to operate both kinds of STR (rentals of 30 days or fewer)
- Vacation Rental-VR (owner off-site)
- Home Stay-HS (owner on-site)
- New VR licenses will be issued ONLY within the City’s Vacation Rental Overlay District (VROD); see map below.
- The number of VR licenses available per year is limited by area; see map below.
- If your property is in a Commercial Zone: Any BNB/AIRBNB/VRBO, etc. requires a permit. Call the City to learn more.
Forms and More Information
- Initial Application for a Short-Term Rental License (for VR or HS in Residential Zone)
- Renewals: Licenses must be renewed before June 30 of each year. There is no grace period. The city mails pre-filled-out renewal applications to STR owners by May 1 of each year. If you lose your application, you may use this blank renewal application.
- Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) Remittance and Reporting Form for a SINGLE STR unit (due quarterly even if $0 TOT collected; see schedule below)
- Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) Remittance and Reporting Form for MULTIPLE STR unit (due quarterly even if $0 TOT collected; see schedule below)
- List of all licensed Vacation Rentals and Home Stays with contact information
- Ordinance No. 708 – the City’s STR ordinance, adopted April 2017
- STR Administrative Policies and Procedures
TOT Reporting Quarters
TOT Remittance Due No Later Than
January 1 – March 31
April 1 – June 30
July 1 – September 30
October 1 – December 31