Short-Term Rental Information

Basic Information

  • Carpinteria’s Short-Term Rental (STR) regulations went into effect July 1, 2017.
  • If your property is in a Residential Zone: A license is required to operate both kinds of STR (rentals of 30 days or fewer)
    • Vacation Rental-VR (owner off-site)
    • Home Stay-HS (owner on-site)
  • New VR licenses will be issued ONLY within the City’s Vacation Rental Overlay District (VROD); see map below.
  • The number of VR licenses available per year is limited by area; see map below.
  • If your property is in a Commercial Zone: Any BNB/AIRBNB/VRBO, etc. requires a permit.

If you have further questions, please call (805) 389-3554 or email


NEW! Transient Occupancy Tax can now be paid online! Scroll all the way to the bottom of our website at

Checks can still be mailed in to our new Business Support Center address at 8839 N. Cedar Ave #212, Fresno, CA 93720

Forms and More Information

Key Deadlines

  • The deadline to RENEW an existing license is June 30 each year. There is no grace period.
  • The City accepts applications for NEW Vacation Rentals or Home Stays year-round.
  • TOT Remittance and Reporting forms for a single STR unit (or for multiple STR units) are due as follows:

TOT Reporting Quarters

TOT Remittance Due No Later Than

January 1 – March 31

April 30

April 1 – June 30

July 31

July 1 – September 30

October 31

October 1 – December 31

January 31

Vacation Rental Overlay Area Map