The City Council approved the ADU ordinance on January 23rd. The ordinance became effective on February 22nd. Please join our email list to be notified of new information.
How to apply for your ADU/JADU
Coastal Development Permit Application (CDP)
- Development Permit Application and Checklist
- Fee Schedule (Refer to line items for Coastal Development Permits)
Building Permit Application
ADU Prototype Plans
The City has prepared Accessory Dwelling Unit prototype plans for your use. These stock prototype plans are available in PDF format and are for the construction of a new, detached Accessory Dwelling Unit as shown on Plan 1 or Plan 2. These plans are intended to save homeowners the expense of having custom plans prepared for a new ADU (a value of approximately $5,000).
The use of these plans will still require approval of a Coastal Development Permit and a Building Permit to construct an ADU. Please review the instructions handout for how to use the ADU prototype plans.
The staff reports and meetings can be viewed on the City’s Agenda and Meeting webpage under the “Archived Videos” section.
- City Council Meeting – January 23, 2023: The City Council reviewed and approved the ADU ordinance. (1) Staff Report and Draft Ordinance
- Coastal Commission – December 15, 2022: The Action Letter is included as Attachment A in the City Council Staff Report (page 6).
- City Council Meeting – September 26, 2022: The City Council considered the draft ordinance. (1) Staff Report and Draft Ordinance, 9-26-2022 City Council Meeting
- Planning Commission Meeting – August 1, 2022: The Planning Commission reviewed the draft ADU ordinance. (1) Staff Report and Attachments (2) Draft Ordinance for Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU)
- City Council Meeting – October 25, 2021: The City provided a status report to the City Council, including Planning Commission recommendations, on the City’s Proposed Accessory Dwelling Unit and Junior Accessory Dwelling Unit Program. The City Council provided direction to staff regarding program components, as they determine appropriate.
- Planning Commission Meeting – October 4, 2021: The City provided a status report to the Planning Commission on the City’s Proposed Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Program. The Commission’s recommendations will be presented to the City Council at their October 25, 2021 meeting.